Re: New version of GTK+

Carlos Pereira <carlos pehoe civil ist utl pt> writes:
Regarding Gtk2.0:

- GtkGLArea
is going to be included in official Gtk distribution?

I can see it making sense to do so, though it should be in a separate
library still since it requires -lGL. I haven't heard any such
proposal from the GLArea maintainer though, and I know the GTK+
maintainers haven't really considered the issue or thoroughly
evaluated the widget.

- GtkHTML
I know this have been discussed a lot in this list...
anyway, anything new in this front?

This won't ever go in GTK+ because it's too big. It will remain a
separate library. However I think the maintainers are willing to make
it depend on GTK only, at least if someone does the work on that.

Is there something that you can tell us about
documentation, examples, etc. for the new widgets,
or is it just too early? I have to do some work
replacing my old GtkTrees to GtkCTrees, shall I wait
and do something else? how big are the changes?

The new text/tree widgets are totally incompatible with the old ones.
(But again, the old ones remain in GTK+, so you don't have to port
until you want to.) The text widget code is in CVS in mostly final
form, and there's a testtext.c to look at. The tree widget is in the
'gtree' module in CVS and is still very much in flux.

Havoc