Re: Independent X/Y scaling in GnomeCanvas...

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Mark Leisher wrote:

    James> After reading through the documentation on affine transforms, I've
    James> come to the unfortunate conclusion that it is impossible to scale
    James> the canvas, or objects within it, independently in the X and Y
    James> dimensions.  Am I correct about this?

I haven't used (or looked at) any of the affine stuff yet, but can't you just
use 1.0 as the scale factor for the axis you don't want to change?

   Well, I've just put my foot in my mouth.  In mitigation, I must
point out that the documentation on the Canvas, particularly the
affine transforms, assumes a lot of background knowledge that I
didn't have, never having done any serious graphics programming
in the past.

   Well, I just found some (non-Gnome-related) information on affine
transforms and 2-D graphics out on the web, which gives a detailed
explanation of affine transforms; now that I understand exactly how
they are built, I can see that yes, it's perfectly possible to do
independent scaling, but I'll probably have to build the affines by
hand.

   I must admit that I was more than a little worried that I was
going to have to do all that stuff by hand.  Panic does strange
things to the mind...

   Thanks to all who responded!

best,
Jim Wiggs