Independent X/Y scaling in GnomeCanvas...

   After reading through the documentation on affine transforms, I've
come to the unfortunate conclusion that it is impossible to scale the
canvas, or objects within it, independently in the X and Y dimensions.
Am I correct about this?

   The functionality I'm trying to achieve is to have a chart in a
scrolled window which can be "squeezed" and "expanded" so that varying
amounts of the chart are visible, but only in the X direction; the
chart would always be scaled so that its height precisely matches the
height of the scrolled window viewport.  Clearly, I can accomplish
this by having a routine which simply goes through every item on the
canvas and scales its X values or Y values as necessary, but if there
is a way to compose affine transforms to get this effect, it would
obviously simplify the code enormously.

   So, what: a pipe dream?

thanks,
Jim Wiggs