gtk_widget_set_state

Hi,
I am working on the gui  to a simulation model using gtk and C++ and  I
was hoping someone could enlighten me as to what the following error
message means.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 3249 (gtk_widget_set_state):
assertion `widget != NULL' failed.

The code doesn't easily lend itself to posting in this type of forum.
In a nutshell this occurs after an item is added to a tree.  The tree is
created of off a config file which is updated after each insertion and
removal.  This error only occurs when a third (and subsequent) level is
added to or removed from the tree.  What is the gtk tree trying to do
other than the obvious?  The gui works fine with this error,  but I
would much rather find out what is going on and the gtk documentation is
rather thin. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
George