How private are private GTK+ data structures

I've working on a program and have found myself needing to access a few
pieces of data that the gtk-docs say that programmers shouldn't directly
access.  Unfortunately, I don't see any other way in the API to easily
get the information I need. (noteably, I'm looking at rows in GtkCList
to see if a CList is empty or not, and max_position in GtkPaned to see
what possible positions are for me to use in gtk_paned_set_position)

As a developer, this sort of leaves me between a rock and a hard place..
to just forget about this new feature I want due to not being able to
access the data, or go ahead and read the data, but risk having my
programs break with future versions of GTK+.

Is there anything else I can do in this situation?  I'd be willing to
send in patches against GTK+ to provide the functions I need, but I have
no idea how frozen the API is.  Am I reading to much into the part of
the docs that say not to use them, in that they mean its safe to read
the data, but not to modify it?

Thanks,

Jag