Style questions

I want to draw the background of an entry onto a drawable. Is doing
gtk_paint_flat_box (widget->style, drawable, GTK_STATE_NORMAL,
                                GTK_SHADOW_NONE, NULL, widget, "entry_bg",
                                0, 0, width, height);
 enough/correct? (widget being a GnomeCanvas).

The problem I'm getting is that it's not drawing it according to the theme,
and just draws a normal grey box (and not the lovely teal colour the theme
should be).

How am I supposed to do this, because I've come up against it many times,
and it's never worked correctly.

thanks guys
iain