Re: Am I wasting my time with the "pixmap" theme engine ?

"Tim Betts" <tbetts nortelnetworks com> writes:

Thanks Bruce for your help.

Even assuming the next super cool version of GTK+ includes this as
part of the big double-buffering effort, I may still need to do it
so that I don't have to upgrade to the new version right away and
due to some special customization and needs of my client
application.

Can Owen or Havoc tell us definatively whether or not the next
version of GTK+ includes this, or whether a patch will become
available for GTK+1.2.7, etc.,

 - GTK+-2.0 will definitely include the new drawing code and new theme
   engine code that the current gdk-pixbuf engine requires.

 - Porting the improvements to GTK+-1.2.x (current is 1.2.8) would
   be many months work and simply not make much sense.

that will do it ? This answer could potentially save me so much effort and I
could spend my time on planning to upgrade to the next version rather than
satisfying one of my end-users requirements. Thanks in advance for the answer.

If not, can anyone give me any nice pointers to achieving killer drawing
performance, when converting the "pixmap" theme engine from GdkImLib to
GdkPixbuf. I already have some code, but it's probably not very optimal in
relation to how GdkGC's, GdkPixmap's and GdkBitmap's are needed and used after
I have loaded the initial GdkPixbuf into memory.

Well, if you are going to work on converting the pixmap engine in a
pixbuf engine, you really should start with my GdkPixbuf engine for
GTK+-2.0 and backport it to gtk+-1.0, rather than trying to start from
scratch.

Of course, other than code cleanliness and maintainability, the
real improvements come from:

 a) more efficient redrawing code in GTK+-2.0
 b) the double buffering code in GTK+-2.0.

And these improvements can't be backported to GTK+-1.2; they are
fundementally tied to improvements in the way that GDK works.

GDK-2.0 has not yet been optimized at all yet for drawing performance,
and there are some needed fixes to the gdk-pixbuf scaling code so the
new pixbuf engine isn't blazingly fast on GTK+-2.0, though it is much
less flickery.

I don't think you'll see a lot of performance improvements by simply
porting the pixmap engine to gdk-pixbuf.

Regards,
                                        Owen