Size of scrolled windows

I have a notebook showing three different pages:

1) a custom widget micmon curently showing nothing but an image.
The size of the image is 656x480 and this is the size the widget allocates
for itself in micmon_size_request. This is the largest page of the notebook.
2) a scrolled window containing a drawing area.
3) a text area

If I now set the size of the drawing area to 656x480, the image appears with
scrollbars although it should fit into the provided space.

It appears without scrollbars if the micmon widget requests 1 pixel height
and width more than it needs.

Why?

Nils

--
Quotes from the net, featuring John Lapeyre[L] and Christopher F. Miller [M]: