Different button shapes

Title: Different button shapes

Can anyone point me towards widgets or code that would allow me to have GtkButton's that have different shapes other than the default square ?

I would also prefer that they "paint" or "draw" themselves instead of being pixmap based for performance reasons, but if I have to resort to using pixmaps can anyone walk me through what steps are necessary.

For example;
-       create a drawing area with a pixbuf within it.
-       add what events to behave like a button
-       can I do a rollover type effect with pixbuf's using enter/leave notify ?
-       if I put a label on the pixmap will it be visible ? if I put it into an event box to make it visible how can I make the event box transparent so that the end user sees whatever portion of the pixmap is underneath the label.

Thanks so much for any pointers or a GtkPixmapButton perhaps :),
Cheers,
     Tim.