making window lower when showed

I want to cause a window to appear below another window of my app when I
show() it, currently the instant I call gtk_window_show, it appears on
top, and although I immediately call gdk_window_raise on my main app
window, there's a quick flash when the new window appears on top and then
covered by the main window...how do I solve this?

| Ze'ev Maor                   | "We all have a little Daemon inside...      |
| zeevm siglab technion ac il  |  ...Craving to come out and become a kernel"|