giving composite widget focus

I've created a widget that packs a GtkLabel and a GtkEntry into a
GtkHBox.  I'd like to allow the new widget to get focus and to add some
handling when it does.

I added

    GTK_WIDGET_SET_FLAGS (new_widget, GTK_CAN_FOCUS);

to new_widget_init().

I also added

    GtkWidgetClass* widget_class;

    widget_class = (GtkWidgetClass*)klass;

    widget_class->draw_focus = new_widget_draw_focus;

to new_widget_class_init().

Right now, new_widget_draw_focus() just prints out a debugging
statement.  Or it would if it were actually getting called, which it's
not.

Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks!
Davina