Re: Questions about GtkHButtonBox

    Werner> that is correct. But they would always fill the whole window
    Werner> width. There is no such layout like a GTK_BUTTONBOX_END for HBoxes
    Werner> to my knowledge. I'd rather tolerate a uniform width (even if this
    Werner> means that most buttons are oversized) than spread them over the
    Werner> whole width. This becomes really ugly if the window is noticeably
    Werner> wider than the summed up button widths.

Well, if worse comes to worst, you can always hack your own version of the
button box :-)  Not a "satisfying" answer, but one that some of us have to
resort to at times.

    >> I for one feel that having all the buttons the same size looks nicer --
    >> I don't get distracted with the visual changes produced by different
    >> size buttons.  This is of course a personal opinion.

    Werner> Generally I would agree. But if the text inside of one of many
    Werner> buttons is far longer than in the other buttons the result is not
    Werner> nice anymore. Someone who asked that question before on this list
    Werner> said that localization (translation) of the texts could make them
    Werner> all different long even if you tried to pick texts with almost
    Werner> same lengths originally.

Quite true.  German localization is bound to provide widely varying text
lengths, not to mention other languages.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab            Cinema, radio, television, magazines are a
New Mexico State University       school of inattention: people look without
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL             seeing, listen without hearing.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                            -- Robert Bresson