Re: Questions about GtkHButtonBox

Mark Leisher wrote:

I think your best bet might be to use a GtkHBox.  If you pack the buttons in,
they are sized to fit their individual contents as opposed to all being made
the same size.

Mark,

that is correct. But they would always fill the whole window width. There is no
such layout like a GTK_BUTTONBOX_END for HBoxes to my knowledge. I'd rather tolerate
a uniform width (even if this means that most buttons are oversized) than spread them
over the whole width. This becomes really ugly if the window is noticeably wider than
the summed up button widths.

I for one feel that having all the buttons the same size looks nicer -- I
don't get distracted with the visual changes produced by different size
buttons.  This is of course a personal opinion.

Generally I would agree. But if the text inside of one of many buttons is far longer
than in the other buttons the result is not nice anymore. Someone who asked that
question before on this list said that localization (translation) of the texts could
make them all different long even if you tried to pick texts with almost same lengths
originally.

Regards,
WL