Re: Event loop

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 02:08:20PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
The easiest way to do this type of thing in GTK is usually to put
do_something() in an idle handler.

Pretty much any _something() can simply be integrated into the GLib
main loop instead of doing your own busy loop.
In my application I have to save a 1MB image to a file using .png which
takes a lot of time on that oldish P166. What would you suggest to use for
saving the image "in the background"?

- separate process
- use threads
- do the writing in an idle handler

If I use a different process, I need to transfer a lot of data and returning
error messages or progress messages to the user is much work.

An idle handler also needs to split the task of writing the file to write
several lines or how else do I prevent the handler from taking 5 seconds
in a row once it has been started?

Nils

--
*New* *New* *New*    - on shellac records
   Windows HE        - see top 10 reasons to downgrade on