zvt and emvironment?

I used the zvt terminal in a Gtk+ program.  It works properly when run
from a shell but if it is run in the background with ./program & or
launched from a file manager or the window manager the title-changed
event is not sent.  I believe that it is caused by not setting up the
environ variable properly.  The example zvterm program in the Gnome
documentation has the same behavior.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Also, is it possible to setup a notebook page so that the user can
tear-off the page like a tear-off menu?

Thanks,
Ken