Re: Embedding GTK in Xt?

Havoc Pennington wrote:

I don't know of anyone who's done it the other way, putting GTK in
Motif. The general line of attack I would look at is putting the GTK
widget in a GtkPlug, then trying to emulate GtkSocket on the Motif
side, possibly even putting the GTK widget in a separate process from
the Motif app. If you use the widget systems in the same process, you
would want to merge the main loops, presumably you can copy XtBin or
Mozilla there.

Is my understanding correct that the widgets contained in GtkPlug are
displayed in GtkSocket, and that GtkPlug and GtkSocket communicates
with each other via X events?

If so, could GtkPlug work with a normal X window in the same process
provided it receives its X / GTK events? It is important to me that
the GTK widget (Mozilla) is running in the same process, as I need
access to several of its interfaces (mainly the DOM events).

Finally, will GTK enable me to merge its main loop into my Xt main
loop? That is, to let Xt be in charge.

The reason for these questions is that I have a prototype where my
Xt based application is feeding the GTK main loop / event system.
The event system appears to be working, i.e. if I add signals with
gtk_signal_connect() they are called. However, no GTK widgets (I am
testing with a simple button widget) are displayed.

I can make the code available if anybody should want to have a look
(although I do not feel confortable with posting the code to the
mailing-list until it is working).