Re: Syntax highlighting theory implmentation

First, I recommend you don't develop a new editor which support syntax
highlighting.  It's a big work, that others did before, you don't need
to  invent  the  wheel  again.  GtkEditor is a very nice editor, whose
scanners  are  easy  to  understand and to wrote. But they're problems
with  it : It is based on tktext-port, which is now not maintained any
more. So, it will be stable only when Gtk+ 2.0 is out. But it is based
on  flex  which  is the best way to implement syntax highlighting. You
can  find it at gtkeditor.sourceforge.net . But they're still bugs, in
tktext-port (obviously, but they'll be fixed when Gtk2 is out), and in
GtkEditor (that's not a stable version).

This is not a text editor, it's a binary editor for a very special format
which none of the existing editor's support. This is the reason why I had
the write one in the first place otherwise I would have ust used an
existing one.

I'll wait out for GTK+ 2.0 then, are there any areas I need to make room
in my code for to make use of the syntax highlighting in GTK+ 2.0?

Otherway,  you  can  take  a look at GtkExText, or GtkScText, and some
others   which   I  guess  are  listed in the Gtk+ Widgets list, whose
address  I  can't recall. But they're based on regex, with the code of
the old GtkEditor branch (before 0.10).

If   you   still  want  to  develop  your  own  editor,  I've  just  a
recommendation   :   Use  Flex. Flex was done to perform such actions.
And it is in the Ten Commandments of the C Programmers, that's a reference :-)

Thanks a bunch! I'll try to look for that! :)

--
Sincerely,                  ,"-_                         \|/
-Capt. Taura M.             ,   O=__                    --X--