gtk_clist_clear() bug?

I'm running with v1.2.8.  I fill a CList with a set of items, then I want
to clear that list and fill it with a different set of items.  I do a
gtk_clist_clear() first - that seems to work fine, the list is cleared.
Then I begin appending items to the list again.  Crash.

My appending code is just like the code that initially created the list.
In fact, if I destroy the CList widget and make another one, then the same
code which appears to cause the crash works fine.  gtk_clist_append()
doesn't seem to like to be called on a CList that has been
gtk_clist_clear()'d.  Neither do gtk_clist_insert() and
gtk_clist_prepend().

Is this a known problem?  Is there a standard workaround for it?  Right now
I'm just deleting the CList widget and creating a new one, but that ends up
requiring a bunch of additional app-specific setup code.

I searched (briefly) through the mail archives but didn't find any mention
of this.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel graphics-muse org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com