gtk_text_insert very slow....

Hi,

Here is my problem :

I am writing a little GTK program which should work like the Windows' "Hyper Terminal". I use a GIOChannel to
read the serial port and a callback connected with g_io_add_watch to print the received caracter in a GtkText
(with gtk_text_insert) .
So, each time I receive a byte on my serial port I print it immediately through this callback in my
GtkEditable.
My problem is quite strange :
it works perfectlty when I have no gtk theme installed but when I have a theme with pixmaps , the
gtk_text_insert function is very slow ! I think my program only prints 5 caracters per second approximately...

I really dont't know what to do... If you need more explanations, please ask me !

thanx !

Julien