Re: [gthumb-list] gThumb 3.1.1 released

Il giorno mer, 21/11/2012 alle 09.54 +0100, Paolo Bacchilega ha scritto:
Il 20/11/2012 23:58, Paolo Benvenuto ha scritto:
Il giorno mar, 13/11/2012 alle 20.00 +0100, Paolo Benvenuto ha scritto:
Il giorno mar, 13/11/2012 alle 13.37 +0100, Paolo Benvenuto ha scritto:
Regression: In the bulk rezise dialog, target folder is now previous
folder/.comments, and actually it's not easy to revert to previous
folder, because .comments will come back; in order to resize to the same
folder you must  click on other and selecting other folder before
reselecting the same.

Well, actually it happens if the .comment folder exists

The weird thing is that for some directories, but not for all,
the .comments folder is created automatically.

In this .comment dir I found:
- a file like .goutputstream-S3KXNW: it is created and deleted
continually, at the maximum speed the hd allows, every time with
different final letters-numbers, without stopping ever. This seems to be
producing the cpu and hard disk hogging reported in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gthumb/+bug/207330
- a file which in my case has the name
Messa_Defunti_Centro_Sociale_2012-11-13--16.38.48.jpg.xml and the
content:

---%<------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<comment version="3.0">
   <caption/>
   <note>
Projection: Rectilinear (0)
FOV: 80 x 93
Ev: 8.73</note>
   <place/>
   <categories/>
</comment>
---%<------------------------------------------

The name of this file is that of a panorama image created with hugin,
Messa_Defunti_Centro_Sociale_2012-11-13--16.38.48.jpg, which is in the
directory where the .comments subdir is created.

Even if I rm the .comments dir, gthumb keeps creating it with the above
explained content if it is open on that dir

If I move the image to another folder, gthumb stops hogging cpu and hd,
at least until I go to the dir where I moved the image.

I'm attacching the image that produces the problem, and a screenshot of
what appears on the bottom-left corner if I activate the properties
pane: actually is the content of the xml file I reported above.

Paolo, I'm going to thank you very much if you can solve this bug, it's
really very annoying. And it makes very risky to put one's home dir on a
ssd, because the ssd would receive a series of create-delete file which
could compromise it in a short time.

I cannot reproduce the problem

Neither can I, now... but in the past was the same: no problem, until
probably something triggers the behaviour...

, what gThumb and exiv2

master, compiled by myself, but it's a long time bug.

$ exiv2 -V
exiv2 0.22 001600 (32 bit build)

Is gthumb that creates the .comments subdir when it finds comments in
the photos?

 versions are you
using? Is the "store metadata inside files" option active?

- Paolo