Re: [gthumb-list] make uninstall

Il 12/05/2012 01:35, Ronald F. Guilmette ha scritto:

Just one other small point about the gthumb Makefiles...

In an ideal Universe, doing `make uninstall' would totally and completely
un-do everything that had been done as a result of `make install'... well...
anyway, at least the stuff that affected the target install directory.

As I was working on gthumb recently, I didnt' want to disturb anything else
on my system with my local&  personal ``experimental'' builds, so I
arranged to install gthumb in its' own special directory, /usr/local/hacked.

Just now, I tried doing `make uninstall' of gthumb to see what, if anything
might get left over after `make install' and then `make uninstall'

The listing of all of the leftovers is attached below.  (These are all
relative to /usr/local/hacked, aka my install prefix.)

The vast majority of everything in this list are directories, but there were
some regular files left behind also, specifically all of the various gthumb.mo
files.

In the case of all of the install directories, obviously those ones that
are package-specific, like share/gthumb (and everything below that) should,
I think, be removed by the Makefile uninstall target.  It could be argued,
I suppose that the higher-level non-package-specific directories (which
might be used in common by many packages) such as bin lib, include, and etc
should not be deleted by `make uninstall' however my personal view is that
an effort should be made to remove even those directories (after everything
gthumb-specific below them has been removed) and that the effort should
consist of the obvious, i.e. `-rmdir', i.e. these directories should be
deleted if and only if they are empty, and if they are non-empty at the
time this is attempted, then that ``error'' should be silently ignored
(because the directories in question are probably being used by other
installed packages).

I have not coded up any patches to the relevant Makefile.am files, or
anything else that might be needed to make all of the additional file
and directory deletions I am proposing herein happen.  I will however
be happy to do so upon request from Paolo.

As a rule of thumb I just look at other GNOME project Makefile.am files to see how they use it, and I don't see commands to delete the directories there, so either it is supposed to work this way or there is some problem with Automake on FreeBSD or it's an Automake bug :)

About the .mo files, I cannot reproduce the problem here they are correctly deleted after an 'uninstall', maybe another FreeBSD specific bug?

- Paolo