[gthumb-list] Directories shown in the LH panel - how to select/remove?

How does gthumb decide what directories to show in the LH panel?

When I open gthumb at present I get a very odd selection:-

    Home Folder
    pictures
    chris
    .desktop
    chris
    File System
    Catalogues

I'd really like to see only 'pictures' (which is the directory in my
home directory where all my pictures are).  I could live with
'pictures', 'Home Folder' and 'File System' maybe.

However I really don't understand why I'm seeing two 'chris' entries and
a '.desktop'.

Is there any way I can tidy this up?  Are these in a configuration file
somewhere that I can edit?

--
Chris Green