Re: [gthumb-list] I'm very confused about display of EXIF and IPTC data in gthumb

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 08:34:04PM +0100, Paolo Bacchilega wrote:
Il 22/01/2012 18:55, Chris Green ha scritto:
I'm trying to understand what gthumb is doing about EXIF and IPTC data
when browsing images, it seems very odd (and broken to be honest).

I'm running gThumb version 2.13.1 on xubuntu 11.10.

When I browse images that definitely have information that should be
being shown (I have Description, Name, Date and Title ticked in
preferences) all that is shown below the image is the filename.
Selecting the image and viewing it large in the browser makes no
difference, when I return to the browser there's still no information.
All the information does appear in the sidebar OK.

The *only* way I can get information to appear in the browser is to
click on "Comment" and then save the comment, the information then
appears in the browser.  *However* (and I think this is rather bad)
gThumb has then written to the EXIF information by putting "gThumb
2.13.1" in Exif General->Software.  I don't want gThumb writing to my
files without asking me really.  If this was a digital image I'd lose
the record of which camera had taken the picture.

Blame your distribution that ships software that is still in
development and not declared stable by their developers.  Version
2.13.1 was a development version and you shouldn't use it, version
2.14.1 for example doesn't have the problem you describe.

Ah, thanks, so gThumb uses the "odd numbers = development", "even
numbers = stable" release cycle does it?

I'm surprised that such a main stream distribution as Ubuntu gets this
wrong but I suppose one can't expect everything to be right all the
time.

So, how do I get 2.14.1 installed?  I just tried going to the Gnome web
site at http://live.gnome.org/gthumb but that was a bit of a failure! I
clicked on "Ubuntu users can just click here to install the gthumb
package." and it didn't work, a window popped up telling me that "this
link needs to be opened with an application".

Is there a repository where I can find the latest stable gThumb or
(almost better) is there a .deb file I can download?

--
Chris Green