Re: [gthumb-list] Wanted: MouseMiddle -> Delete

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:02:07AM +0200, Paolo Bacchilega wrote:
Second, as I am going through all of these .JPG files, my right hand is
already on the mouse anyway, and it occurs to me that my middle mouse
button seems to produce only the exact same function (in gthumb) as my
left mouse button, i.e. just selecting the current image.  Obviously,
there is no real or compelling need to dedicate _two_ mouse buttons to
the exact same functionality, so, you know, it really would be ultra Nice
if it were possible for the gthumb user to bind the middle mouse button
to some user-specified action... like for instance select-and-delete-file-
without-confirmation.  Is it possible for a gthumb end user to customise
the functionality of the middle mouse button?  If not, then I'd like to put
in a separate enhancement request for that exactly capability.  (Even if
I could only customize the middle mouse button to select-and-delete-with-
confirmation, I would still be better off than I am now.)

I don't like the idea to allow the user to personalize the mouse
button actions, because it's hard to make sure the application works
correctly for every possible action bound to the mouse buttons, and
such an option would make the preferences dialog scary to an
non-expert user.

It's surely down to lower level software to customise mouse actions.

I use xte and xbindkeys to customise my mouse so that button 9 (one of
the extra buttons) produces a "double click button 1", ~/.xbindkeys is:-

    "/usr/bin/xte 'mouseup 9' 'mouseclick 1' 'mouseclick 1' &"
    b:9 + Release

I'm pretty sure it's easy enough to bind any action you want to a button
press so the OP could use this to provide what he wants.

--
Chris Green