Re: [gthumb-list] Some questions about rotation and comments

Il 07/04/2012 11:05, Chris Green ha scritto:
I'm using gthumb 2.13.1 on an xubuntu 11.10 system, I used to use
digikam but it was overkill for my needs really (and pulls in all those
KDE libraries).

First question:-

     The thumbnails are often not oriented correctly but the full sized
     images are correct.  These are (I guess) images which have been
     rotated in the past using digikam.  In fact it's odder than that, if
     I select one of the incorrectly oriented thumbnails and rotate it
     then it ends up rotating too far, i.e. it seems to suddenly 'see'
     the correct orientation it really had originally (put there by
     digikam) and then rotates it a further 90 degrees so I then have to
     rotate it back again!

     Is there any automated way I can get the thumbnails to be oriented
     correctly?

version 2.13.1 is an old development version, try to build the source or find a package of version 2.14.0 or greater.

Second question:-

     I have lots of IPTC and EXIF information embedded into the image
     files by digikam.  Is there any way I can get gthumb to display
     this with the images (I can see it in the Properties window in the
     sidebar of course).

You can select the metadata to display in the thumbnail list from the preferences dialog, 'browser' tag. Note that displaying EXIF metadata will slow down the file listing because every single image will be opened in order to read the embedded metadata. There was a plan to make a cache of the embedded metadata but it hasn't been implemented yet.

- Paolo