Re: [gthumb-list] Extension idea: auto-rotate

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak a écrit :
On 03/09/2010 03:58 AM, Matthias Hawran wrote:
Yes so in fact I'm asking to reintroduce the "Reset Exif orientation"
function.
I never used this function in 2.10.x

The "Reset Exif orientation" function did something different. All it
did was reset the exif orientation tag to "top left". It didn't
physically transform the data.

However, I may have misunderstood what you are trying to do.

I wouldn't enable it by default, though. Too obscure.
What do you mean by "enable"? You mean the extension?
What do you mean by "obscure"

If the extension is included with gThumb, it can be enabled or
disabled by default. I would disable this by default, because the
average user will not need it, and would be confused by its function.

The [&  ] sequence doesn't fix the images.
In 2.10.x it does fix them.

Time for a detailed (step-by-step) bug report with sample images, then.

Orientation tag problems get confusing at times.

- Mike

I'm finally continuing this "old" thread.
I must admit to more we discuss, the more I'm lost :-)
Probably I didn't know all the ways images could be rotated, with regard
to exif orientation tag,
in gthumb, including 2.10.x and 2.11.x

I don't know how others see the exif orientation tag, but for me the
primary use is to avoid manually
rotating portrait images.
With this basic requirement I want my portrait images to be shown well
oriented in any software/device.
Fortunately most software handle the tag (gthumb, gimp, eog...)
I've got 2 cases where it doesn't:
- my digital frame (samsung, < 6 months old)
- Facebook

What to do then ?
I have to physically rotate the image and eventually reset the tag to
"top, left"
I would of course like to have this automatic when I import my pictures
from the camera.

Now back to gthumb.
What does the "Rotate image physically" import option do?
According to some tests I did it only rotates the image physically (well
it does what it says duh !)

If I import a portrait orientated picture, exif tag "right-top"

1. Unselect "Rotate image physically"
- Image appears "portrait" oriented
- Orientation tag : "right-top"
- other programs (eog, gimp) open it as portrait

2. Select "Rotate image physically"
- Image appears "landscape" oriented
- Orientation tag : "right-top"
- other programs (eog, gimp) open it as landscape

I don't understand the use of this option if you don't reset the
orientating tag (= set to "top, left") ?

See ImageMagick -auto-orient option:
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-options.php?#auto-orient

Therefore the idea of an auto-rotate extension: rotate and reset tag.

Cheers,
Matthias