[gthumb-list] Need some help building/installing gthumb

Greetings,

I need an app that will just simply allow me to view some (JPEG) picture
files, delete some of the less desirable ones, and maybe crop some of
the others.  (I'm a UNIX kind of guy, and I never touch Windoze unless
I really really have to, so of course, I need this on UNIX, and in
particular, on FreeBSD.)

So anyway, I googled around a bit and found a description of gthumb that
indicated that it would fit all of my (very modest) needs.

So far, so good.

Ever since, I've been trying to just get gthumb installed on my FreeBSD
system and the whole process has become really frustrating and fraught
with unexpected difficulties and gotchas.  I'm hoping that somebody on
this list will take pity on me and help me get this thing built and
installed.  (The screen shots I've seen of gthumb look really nice.  Now
if I could only get it built & installed!)

The main problem I've been having is that (on FreeBSD at least) gthumb
is set up as a "port" which had a prerequsite of another package called
avahi-app.  (I don't know didly-pooh about avahi-app, and quite frankly,
I don't really want to.  Learning all of the obscure ins-and-outs of THAT
package was most definitely NOT on my TO-DO list.)

So anyway, building and installing avahi-app on my FreeBSD system has
proven to be essentially impossible, for no very well explained reason.
Here's the bugreport I filed on that:

Since I can't get avahi-app built & installed on my system, I also cannot
even begin to build the FreeBSD "port" of gthumb... because the former is
a prerequsite of the latter.

Needless to say, I am both disappointed and frustrated by this outcome.

So anyway, I got the idea that maybe I could work-around the fact that
the FreeBSD ports system made avahi-app a hard prerequsite of gthumb
simply by grabbing a current tar.gz file of the current release of
gthumb and just building it manually myself.

Well, that's what I thought anyway.

The first problem I ran into was that fact that even after googling hard
for it, I could not find _anyplace_ that is dispensing a plain old tar.gz
(or tar.bz2) distribution file for gthumb.  (Call me old-fashioned, but
I have no idea what this "git" stuff is, and learning all about THAT was
also not on my TO-DO list.  Why can't somebody just make it a bit more
obvious where the current tar.bz2 file is stashed?)

Anyway, I managed to find the gthumb-2.10.11.tar.bz2 file right on my
own system, because my earlier attempts to build gthumb had apparently
already sucked that doesn from _somehere_.  (God only knows where.  I
didn't look into that.)

So I just just unpacked that and ran:

        ./configure

This did not work out at all well. :-(

(Snide aside:  Wasn't the whole point of the GNU invention called "configure"
scripts to make it easy/effortless to build things, pretty much regardless
of how the underlying system is configured?  Too bad it never really
worked out that way.  Hint:  I'm a critic of the whole GNU notion of
configure scripts from way way back.  In my opinion, these abominations
are mostly just a crappy way to try to make up for shoddy programming.)

Anyway, to get back to my story, I've attached the output from running
./configure below.  It's very depressing, as I have no idea how to fix
whatever the bleep is wrong here.  I made a half-hearted attempt at
diddling my PKG_CONFIG_PATH, as suggested, so that it included the path
to the one and only directory I found on my system that appears to con-
tain a whole bunch of .pc files (/usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig) but that
appears to make no difference whatsoever. :-(

So anyway, if anybody wants to give me the magic formula for getting
gthumb built & installed on my system, I'd really appreciate it,
because as far as I can tell, I'm no closer now than when I started to
try to do this one "simple" little task.

Alternatively, if anybody could suggest some simpler tool that will
just allow me to view, delete, and crop thumbnails of a bunch of JPEGS...
and which can be built and installed _without_ first obtaining a PhD in
the obscure inner workings of the whole gnome system... then I'd really
appreciate it.

output from ./configure:
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ./install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... gawk
checking build system type... i386-unknown-freebsd7.0
checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsd7.0
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /usr/bin/sed
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for g77... no
checking for xlf... no
checking for f77... no
checking for frt... no
checking for pgf77... no
checking for cf77... no
checking for fort77... no
checking for fl32... no
checking for af77... no
checking for xlf90... no
checking for f90... no
checking for pgf90... no
checking for pghpf... no
checking for epcf90... no
checking for gfortran... no
checking for g95... no
checking for xlf95... no
checking for f95... no
checking for fort... no
checking for ifort... no
checking for ifc... no
checking for efc... no
checking for pgf95... no
checking for lf95... no
checking for ftn... no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 196608
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... freebsd7.0 ld.so
configure: creating libtool
appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g++ static flag -static works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... freebsd7.0 ld.so
(cached) (cached) checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking for flex... flex
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking lex library... -lfl
checking whether yytext is a pointer... yes
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for orbit2-config... /usr/local/bin/orbit2-config
checking for ORBit - version >= 2.3.0... yes
checking for orbit-idl-2... /usr/local/bin/orbit-idl-2
checking for GTHUMB... gnome-config: not found
gnome-config: not found
gnome-config: not found
gnome-config: not found
gnome-config: not found
configure: error: Package requirements (        glib-2.0 >= 2.6.0                               gthread-2.0
                                          gmodule-2.0                                             gtk+-2.0 >=
2.10.0                              libgnome-2.0 >= 2.6.0                   libgnomeui-2.0 >= 2.6.0
      libgnomecanvas-2.0 >= 2.6.0             libbonobo-2.0 >= 2.6.0                  libbonoboui-2.0 >=
2.6.0                        bonobo-activation-2.0 >= 2.6.0          gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.6.0
gnome-vfs-module-2.0                                    libexif >= 0.6.13                       libxml-2.0 >=
2.4.0                             libglade-2.0 >= 2.4.0) were not met:

No package 'libgnome-2.0' found
No package 'libgnomeui-2.0' found
No package 'libbonoboui-2.0' found
No package 'gnome-vfs-2.0' found
No package 'gnome-vfs-module-2.0' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GTHUMB_CFLAGS
and GTHUMB_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.