Re: [alex stt org: gtetrinet and "qualified client"]

On Sunday, October 5, 2003, at 02:44 PM, Jordi Mallach wrote:

Good. I commented about your new Cocoa client on IRC and a few people
were excited about the news. We've had requests to separate the client
code from the gui code in the past, in order to make a Cocoa port
possible, but that's quite hard right now, so we never even tried to do
it. Someday a libtetrinet package will be born, I guess.

Yeah.... I realized fairly early on that to make it play nice with a Cocoa interface would require a re-write of a VAST majority of the underlying code.... honestly the engine code IS fairly compartmentalized (at least to me); it's just that it relies entirely on ANSI C types (C strings, etc) which don't always play well w/ Cocoa types (NSString etc.).

As for the people who were interested in the port... I had a (big) milestone today... I PASSED the client check on tetridome.com. For some reason tetrinet.org still doesn't like me, but tetridome seems to think I'm ok (after a couple of bans requiring a reset of the 'ol DSL modem). Honestly I only have a few touches to put on the interface (and add support for the partyline, which has sofar been neglected due to the (relative) ease of implementation; wanted to get the hard stuff out of the way first.

As soon as I get a domain registered I'll put up some screenshots/info. I'd expect an "alpha" type of release in the next week or two. I'd call it a beta, but my code still needs LOTS of cleaning; this one will definitely be for the adventurous only as there are quite a few bugs and at least a couple memory leaks that need to be tracked down:) So I'll release an "alpha" test for those who want it with the express understanding that I'm still in development and there's a good chance it might not work as advertised all the time.

Ow. That's a problem... yeah. I'd guess the ban is temporary, or their
list of bans might be so huge they'd need terabytes of ram :)

I'm afraid I don't know who admins the server though, so I can't help
you there. Have you looked at the webpage for a contact address?

I found that by resetting my DSL modem (and thus getting a new IP) I can get around it; very annoying though. The contacts section on tetrinet..org webpage is blank, and a whois turns up nothing (obviously). Maybe I'll send an e-mail to admin tetrinet org and hope I get lucky.

If anyone has any insight into my tetrinet.org client check problems I'd be grateful (I went ahead and joined the gtet list, so I can keep up w/ what's new, etc.); it seems to be my last real barrier to getting something functional out.

Thanks again for all your help!

Alex <alex stt org>