Re: Opinions on multi-source search

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 19:56:26 +0200, "Juan A. Suarez Romero"
<jasuarez igalia com> wrote:
>> 5) The count parameter is a maximum total count.
>>
>>   - for exmaple if you request count = 100 and you have 4 searchable
>> sources
>> it will search each one with count=25
>>   - I think it could be better to let this parameter be the count for
>> each individual
>> source instead, so that if you request count = 100 it will request
>> count=100
>> for each individual source available.
>
> IMHO, and in order to be coherent with single-source search(), count
> would be the total results user is interested, no matter from which
> sources come them.
>
> Saying this, I see this grl_multiple_search(count) as:
>
> 1) Search all plugins in parallel, using count for each of them.
> 2) As results are coming, send them to user.
> 3) When count results are sent, cancel search operations in sources (if
> available), discarding remaining data.

That's an option I had not considered and could make more sense. I am a bit
worried that it could be an overkill though because you are requesting a lot
more items than you need.

>> As for future work:
>>
>> 1) This implementation might need additional work to ensure it works
>> in situations
>> like plugins being unloaded while a multiple operation is being
>> performed on
>> them.
>>

> Didn't check it, but can this happen also when searching a single
> source?

In theory, no. When I wrote the upnp plugin I used it to test this scenario.
But of course we have added more code since then...

Iago