Re: Unit tests in Python using GObject Introspection

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:17:06 +0200, Simón Pena Placer
<spenap gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that we have GObject Introspection available, I've started
> developing unit tests in Python. That way, we should be able to check
> Grilo's core functionality while, at the same, checking how well
> Grilo's introspection support is working -and specifically, PyGObject.
>
> Where should these tests be located? I first thought about
> tools/python/tests, but it doesn't look too "standard". Another choice
> could be under src/tests/python (as we would likely be adding
> JavaScript tests in the future). What do you think about it (or the
> unit tests in general)?

About the unit tests in general, I think it is a good idea, but I
wonder how they mix with having a clone of the test-ui in Python
already. I wonder if we want to use and maintain that test-ui clone to
test the python bindings or if we rather use unit tests (maintaining
both at the same time looks like too much work to me). Then if we want
to test also other ports like javascript or vala I wonder if we want to
write tests/uis for each one... I guess having a good set of unit tests
could be a better way, but I would like to see other opinions.

As for the location of the tests I would go for src/tests/python

Iago