Re: performance of goocanvas

On Thu, 2013-11-21 at 09:48 +0000, Ed Griffiths wrote:
Damon,

so that's where we got to with the foocanvas....we didn't create a custom item
but in effect we did have one as we used a group parent and did all our drawing
within it's space....

Interesting really that every now then a need pops up for a really fast 2D
canvas that deals with large numbers of lines/boxes etc...not an easy problem to
crack and have a good interface which is I guess why one doesn't really exist.

I think part of the problem is that the GObject stuff was designed with
widgets in mind, where you typically only have tens or hundreds of
objects. Hundreds of thousands is a bit too much for it! (I wonder if
the Qt Canvas is any better. I tested it once but can't remember.)

People seem reluctant to create their own custom items too. Maybe if
that was easier it would have helped. (I made it a bit too complicated
with all the model/view stuff and the use of interfaces.)

Damon