Re: performance of goocanvas

Ed, Damon,

I really want to thank you both. I was able to find the reason for the
performance hit. As you indicated, we were "moving" items to the same
location where they were _for the entire document_. I have found some
redundancy in some operations during scrolling (and probably in other
places too) that I'll remove.

thank you very much,

--daniel

 Ed> I think this is a good guess, we had a lot of trouble with foocanvas
 Ed> (the goocanvas predecessor) with this. In the end we were forced to
 Ed> draw certain things ourselves on to the screen in order to get good
 Ed> enough performance.

 Ed> If you are moving the scrolled region as you scroll that would do it....

 Ed> Ed

I don't think the problem is drawing. I put a "return;" statement at the
top of the GooCanvasPolyline's draw function so it didn't draw anything,
but it was just as slow!

I think the problem may be that you are sometimes changing items when
the canvas is scrolled, and this causes the canvas to have to
recalculate the bounds of lots of items, which is slow.

What changes are you making when the canvas is scrolled? Is there a way
to avoid them?

Damon

--
Daniel M. German                  "Much of my work has come
   John W. Backus ->               from being lazy"