Re: GooCanvas & Gtk3

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 09:51 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

    I'm thinking about using PyGooCanvas.... but what about goocanvas and
    GTK3 (GObject introspection, and all that jazz)?

GooCanvas 2.x supports introspection and I think works OK with python.

    Is goocanvas actively maintained?

Not really. I try to fix any bugs reported, but I'm not adding any new
features.

I think clutter is preferred for Gnome development now, so use that if
you can.

Damon

Hello!

I want to implement a small special-purpose graphical editor (similar to Dia or MS-Visio).
Currently I'm trying to decide which Canvas I should use.

The GooCanvas is currently the most promising option, but in this mail you mentioned "Clutter".

Now I'm not sure, if this may be an option too. Do you know Clutter? And may this be the better
option (because it's not really actively maintained)? I need a canvas which I can place my
"item" on and want to have a simple interface to get select items via a mouse-click and to
manipulate them (i.e. moving around, resizing, grouping).

This leads me to another question:

I'm trying to implement a "GooCanvasEditor" class. I want to connect the mouse event signals
to each item I add to the Canvas, but I cannot figure out, what is the best method to do
this...

I tried to override and connect to the "add" signal of the Gtk.Container class, but this does
not work. The "item-created" signal is only available in the Model/View variant, but this may
be deprecated?!

Any ideas?

Regards
 Sven Anders

--
 Sven Anders <anders anduras de>                 () UTF-8 Ribbon Campaign
                                                 /\ Support plain text e-mail

  - Benjamin Franklin