Re: [GOK] gok and gnome 3.0

Hi,

Ben Konrath wrote:
2) How are we going to deal with integrating with gnome-shell?

Currently GOK cannot interact with the Overview mode of gnome-shell.
When gnome-shell becomes the default, users will not be able to access
any actions in the Activities menu (launch programs, access Places, use
recent files, use Workspaces etc). Obviously this is a major problem.

I think the solution for this is to somehow have a gok presentation
layer within gnome-shell. I hacked up a dirty mock-up so that people can
get an idea of what I'm thinking about:

http://bagu.org/scratch/gok-in-gnome-shell.png

When the user selects the workspace, gok would remain as a permanent
dock at the bottom of the screen like this:

http://bagu.org/scratch/gok-in-gnome-shell-2.png

I don't know much about how gnome-shell works yet, so I'm not sure how
Python or C gok would communicate with the gok presentation layer in
gnome-shell. Or even how the gnome-shell gok presentation layer would
transition to Python or C gok in the workspace. This area needs more
exploration and is an open question for me.

Maybe the at-spi login-helper interface could be used for this? Clients would announce their window id's to gnome-shell and it would either raise the windows or provide a layer in the Activities view for them.

cheers,
Gerd