where can / must one activate 'LONG DOUBLES'?

hello @all,

please have patience with my inexperience ...
gnumeric can use 'long doubles'? but by default this is 'off'?
at different places in the program 'GNM_WITH_LONG_DOUBLES' is asked, and in different configuration files it can be set ... what do I have to enter where and which configuration steps to run afterwards to activate correctly! long doubles on a x86-64 machine (Xeon)?
Thanks in advance for any good tips

best regards, and TIA for any help,

b.