Re: New to Gnumeric -- attempting to plot data

Thank you.
When I first read your post yesterday my initial response was

*THIS morning*, after a night's sleep, I followed your procedure
STEP by STEP. It worked better that way <sheepish grin>

The key was Step 6.

The manual needs a redo

On 02/25/2020 09:09 AM, Adrian Custer via gnumeric-list wrote:
On 2/25/20 11:05 AM, Jean Brefort wrote:
 > Welcome to Gnumeric.

Yeah, welcome.

1) Select A30:A65
2) Hold <Ctrl>, select C30:C65
3) Click the graph icon,
=> should give you a plot of type "XY" in a preview window

4) click insert
5) Select an area of the worksheet (click-drag-release)
=> should give you a plot on the worksheet

6) Right click on the plot, select "Properties" from the pop-up menu
=> gives you a "customize chart" window

This is a little complex: At the top left, there is a tree of elements in your chart, you can navigate it and add or remove elements to the tree. Top right, is a preview; bottom, allows you to modify the currently selected element.

Off the top of my head, I don't know how to get the labels you want. Best play around for a while to get a feel for it. Be patient, it's not intuitive because it is trying to do something complex and has its own vocabulary for all the elements.

good luck,
   ~adrian

Look at section 3.10 (Graphing).

The fast way to plot your data is to select both ranges and click on
the graph button (left to the zoom tool button). Next, you choose the
plot type, default being scatter plot, and you can use the dialog to
customize your plot.

Hope this helps,
Jean