Re: Print Preview

On 02/04/2020 13:47, Pere Pujal i Carabantes wrote:

El dj. 02 de 04 de 2020 a les 12:48 -0500, en/na Chris Dunn va
escriure:
Good day.

I'm a long-time user, currently running Gnumeric 1.12.46 on Debian
Sid.

For some reason unknown, File / Print Preview and the Print Preview
button have stopped working for me in the last few days. Printing
including "Print to File" do not seem to be affected, just the
preview.

When the Print Preview button is pressed there is the flash of a
small
window on the screen then nothing. There does appear to be some text
in
this transient window but it doesn't stay up long enough to see what
is
there.

That window just says "preparing to preview", you could freeze it by
trying to print a very big, more than 1000 pages preview, it will popup
an areyousure window, so you could see the underlaying window that is
asking that.

Thanks for this. It set me off on a path to a solution. Not having any docs as large as you suggested to hand, I took your word for the behaviour.

Together with your mention of evince it did stir my memory to a previous similar situation where an application was trying to write a file to /tmp, but because of my inadequate root partition size there was no space for the file, and the application failed. Sure enough it seems that evince writes the "print preview" file as a .pdf to /tmp, and then deletes it when the print preview screen is closed. My problem seems likely to have been caused by this situation, as my root partition was showing up as 97% full.

Having now doubled the size of my root partition, and set a cron script to let me know if it is getting close to full, all seems to be working well, and I believe I should not need to trouble the list again with my own failings. At least on this subject.

Thanks and apologies to you, and to Jean Brefort for taking time to respond to my un-necessary post.

1. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Works fine here, also Debian Sid but not updated regularly

2. Does anyone have any suggestion as to where I can start looking
for a
solution.

Looking at the differences on pstree when there is a preview than when
there is none, I'd investigate on the side of evince/evince-previewer

Thanks.

HTH
Pere

--

Chris Dunn

P.O. Box 520, Ocho Rios Post Office, Saint Ann
95, Saint Mary Country Club
Charles Town
Saint Mary
Jamaica