Re: Question about using Gnumeric ssconvert

Hello,

I am not one of the official Gnome developers, but I work with a lot of
Open Source software and perhaps my experience will be helpful.

If you are merely using the ssconvert software in your own internal
project, without linking to it in your own code, then you don't need to
do anything. You only need to provide a copy of the source code and
licence when you make copies of the ssconvert software and distribute
those copies.

If you do copy the ssconvert software and distribute the copies, then
you must follow the licence agreement, otherwise you are in breach of
your licence, which will make that copyright infringement. Especially in
the case of commercial software, the copyright holders (The Free
Software Foundation) will likely take action to enforce the licence.

(Just because the software is Open Source and free, does not mean people
can ignore the licence terms.)

If you are copying the ssconvert software into your own source code,
then again you must obey the licence as soon as you distribute it to
others. The GPL licence includes the requirement that your entire
application is also licenced as GPL (with some exceptions).

If those exceptions do not apply, but you do not wish to licence your
application as GPL, then you have some options, including:

- ask for a dedicated commercial licence (possibly in return for a fee);

- find a way to call the ssconvert software, without copying the code or
linking to it into your application, that meets the exceptions in the
GPL;

- re-write the functionality yourself, without copying or looking at the
ssconvert source code (no copyright infringement);

- purchase a commercial licence for equivalent software from another
vendor, and obey their licence terms;

- or do without the functionality.

If you have not already done so, you should read the FSF's Frequently
Asked Questions.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

If you are planning on selling your software, you should ensure that you
have a lawyer who is familiar with the GPL check that you are not
breaching the licence conditions and infringing copyright.

Thank you for asking, and hopefully my answers will be more helpful than
confusing.

Steve