Re: Currency symbol in binary?

On 06/10/2015 02:31 PM, txm wrote:

When I download a csv from my bank, the "euro" amounts are terminated
by some funny binary character.  What is it and can gnumeric handle
it?

The following .csv file works fine chez moi:

€1.23,1.23€,1.23,€
,,
$1.23,1.23$,1.23,$

That is to say, cells A1 and B1 are formatted as Euro
currency quantities.  Cell C1 is a non-currency quantity,
and cell D1 is text.

Meanwhile, cells A3 and B3 are formatted as dollar
currency quantities, C3 is a non-currency quantity,
and D3 is text.

Here is the UTF-8 encoding, in lurid detail:

od -a -t x1 foo.csv
0000000   b stx   ,   1   .   2   3   ,   1   .   2   3   b stx   ,   ,
         e2  82  ac  31  2e  32  33  2c  31  2e  32  33  e2  82  ac  2c
0000020   1   .   2   3   ,   b stx   ,  nl   ,   ,  nl   $   1   .   2
         31  2e  32  33  2c  e2  82  ac  0a  2c  2c  0a  24  31  2e  32
0000040   3   ,   1   .   2   3   $   ,   1   .   2   3   ,   $  nl
         33  2c  31  2e  32  33  24  2c  31  2e  32  33  2c  24  0a

The encoding seems entirely reasonable.  Reference:
  http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/20aC/index.htm

Suggestion:  If your bank is flagging Euro currency
amounts using some other symbol, you should be able
to figure that out and fix it yourself using tools
such as "od" and "sed".

AFAICT the gnumeric input routines are doing everything they
are supposed to.  If you think there is a gnumeric bug, or
even an opportunity for enhancement, please provide a much
much more detailed explanation.