Re: Currency symbol in binary?

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 11:31:32PM +0200, txm wrote:
Hi.

When I download a csv from my bank, the "euro" amounts are terminated by
some funny binary character.  What is it and can gnumeric handle it?

My guess is that this is an encoding mismatch.

What you should see is U+20AC, €. If the CSV file is saved in UTF-8
format, but Gnumeric mistakenly thinks it is Latin-1, you should
see: â¬

(There's actually an invisible character between the â and the ¬ but I
think my mail program probably removed it).

If you want to learn more about this, google for "moji-bake".

My guess is that the CSV file is ISO-8859-15, which is like Latin-1 but
it adds the Euro, and Gnumeric mistakenly thinks it is Latin-1. In that
case, you are probably seeing this: ¤

Unfortunately the computer I am on at the moment doesn't have Gnumeric
installed, so I cannot check to see how to change the encoding when you
open a CSV file.

--
Steve