.ods - with or without foreign elements?

Hi,

I am keen to keep my documents in as simple a way as possible and also using open standards. Firstly would it be good to keep my working spreadsheets in .ods format not gnumeric format or possibly I should just keep some backed up copies in .ods format but keep the working version in gnumeric format.

Secondly if I use .ods format should it be with or without foreign elements?

Steve