Re: Imported text is converted to date

I tried to paste this into Gnumeric 1.10.17.  That does provide some
options.  I found the default text delimiter to be a double quote yet
like you the first string comes in as a date anyway.  So I think there
is at least a bug of things not being correctly labelled.  If the
program says stuff in double quotes comes in as text it should.

I don't think anyone would write a date that way in the USA so I
wonder if there is some locale setting somewhere that is relevant?

Outside of software version numbers and mathematics books, a string of
numerals with multiple decimal points is pretty much illegal so it's
hard to guess what would make a good default for handling it.

Is the initial single quote really a problem?  My experience going
back to Lotus 1-2-3 is that a single inital quote is how you flag
something as text.  Most spreadsheets just drop that character when
they do something with the cell contents.  It's kind of like the
equals sign in Excel to indicate a formula.

--bound1395936535

I have a problem importing a text string.  In the attached .csv file the string "10.4.2" is imported
incorrectly as a date, and once imported, there does not seem to be a way to recover the correct text.  (I
just open the file, and it is imported automatically.)  LibreOffice and Excel for Windows import it as
text, as intended.  The only workaround I have found is to prefix it with an apostrophe ("'"), which has
the disadvantage that an unwanted apostrophe appears in those spreadsheets.

Is there another way to import this as text--preferably automatically?  Is this a bug?

The problem occurs in versions 1.10.9 for Windows and 1.10.17 for Linux.  I have not tried 1.12 yet.

--bound1395936535

MTAuNC4yLCAgIDEwLjIsIDEzLjQuMgoiMTAuNC4yIiwgMTAuMiwgMTMuNC4yCicxMC40LjInLCAx
MC4yLCAxMy40LjIKJzEwLjQuMiwgIDEwLjIsIDEzLjQuMgo=

--bound1395936535

--bound1395936535--

------->  First-time AP Stats. teacher?  Help is on the way! See
http://courses.ncssm.edu/math/Stat_Inst/Stats2007/Bob%20Hayden/Relief.html
      _
     | |          Robert W. Hayden
     | |          614 Nashua Street #119
    /  |          Milford, New Hampshire 03055  USA
   |   |
  /  x |          website: http://statland.org
 |     /
 ''''''