Re: "magic brackets" in GNUmeric

Dear Morten,

answer to your last question first:

What exactly is the "GNUmeric portable app version"?
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/gnumeric_portable

You can obtain LibreOfficePortable there as well, for example. In this
context, "portable" means that you can run a "portable" app from a USB
stick attached to any PC running a recent version of MS-Win, and take
all your personal settings with you; no administrative privileges
neccessary for installation, no registry entries etc. very handy for
the "mobile workforce"... of course, portable apps might use code of
Win standard libraries.

We are not supposed to have anything like magic brackets.
We don't even have code for it.
I appreciate this opinion very much, as I hate "unkown unknows"...

Here's the link to the paper in which W. Kahan complains about this
phenomenon:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/Mindless.pdf
The "magic bracket" subject is treated in "ยง2: Errors Designed Not To
Be Found" on page 3 ff. I used the 1/2^n approach in order to find out
how many trailing bits are cleared.

Could you please file a bug for this at bugzilla.gnome.org with a test
sheet?
I promise to do that this weekend; I'm a bit busy right now because
I'll leave for a two days business trip tomorrow morning. Please find
attached the Win-version of my sheet. My Linux-GNUmeric was able to
open it (sorry, but I'm on Win now and in a hurry...).

All the best
Schorsch