Re: Discontinuing Windows Builds

On 8/27/2014 5:55 AM, Gour wrote:
have you considered to simply run Gnumeric under virtualbox or or some other virtual machine?

These days it's very easy/quickly to pick some Linux distro and then have Gnumeric running and sharing data with the hosting Windows OS. Sincerely, Gour

Thanks, that's a good idea, but it's unnecessary in my case, because I have installation files for four previous Windows versions. At least some of those run perfectly well as far as I can tell, and I don't want to add complexity.

It might be helpful to have access to the other versions, but more importantly, I just think the general public should have access. It's certainly unfortunate when a major open-source program simply disappears without warning. I don't know if there's an explicit promise that programs will be available indefinitely, but that's certainly a common expectation. This might come as a shock to someone who was planning to use the program, or who is currently using the program on one computer but no longer has the installation file. And while the Linux builds are still available, that option is not always practical and readily available to all users.

Rex Couture