Re: Discontinuing Windows Builds

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 08:50:32AM -0400, Allin Cottrell wrote:

When a user reports a crash on Windows that I can't reproduce on Linux my
first reaction is that it's not gretl's fault, yet sometimes it is: when I
dig deeper I find a bug that somehow wasn't triggered on Linux. Of course I
can't say how applicable this is to Gnumeric.

You can go far on that track... What is a bug and what is unexpected
behavior. A malfunction which exists solely because the operating system
allows the misbehavior of a program, then cannot cope with the
consequences, is not the developer's responsibility.., or is it? ;-)

Anyway, the developer should decide if she/he wants to saddle himself
with those troubles (if that is English). Having written code to handle
rubbish in the environment settings of a Windows-machine, I am now
confronted with the erratic behavior of virus scanners. Ignoring Windows
for my own development work becomes more and more an option, and I know
already that it will be a relief...

Gnumeric does not compare to any of my own projects and I may be about
to disgrace myself shamefully. But seeing the Gnumeric developers in
good spirits is worth a sacrifice.

Michael

Allin Cottrell