Re: Gnumeric 1.12 released

Hi!

I have enjoyed Gnumeric for several years. It was fast and small - faster and smaller than OOO spreadsheet. It was simple to modify the max number of columns and compile again. So it was until I updated my OpneSUSE-11.4 and Gnumeric-1.10.17 to OpenSUSE-12.3 and Gnumeric-1.12.0-2.1.4.

The first impression was badly surprising - so much screen space is wasted for large icons and high taskbars. I cannot find in preferences how to make they smaller. The cells are very large. I modified the standard row height and column width and closed the window. Starting gnumeric again the cells are large again. How to change the default cell size? Sould I modify the cell size in the source code?

In the announcement of the 1.12.x series on 18 Dec 2012 we can read:
*    Gnumeric is slightly faster and uses slightly less memory for large workbooks.
*    Start-up time has been improved by embedding, for example, the user interface
     files into the executable.

My experience is just opposite. It takes longer to start, and it takes a lot of time to close numerous windows. On my Intel i7-2600 3.4GHz PC, 8G RAM running openSUSE-12.3 and FVWM2 takes closing of ten small spreadsheets (70 columns and 220 rows) about five minutes. The xosview shows that a CPU is running 100%, no other CPU-intensive processes.

When starting gnumeric from xterm I got an error messages:
** (gnumeric:28804): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files.

Some more messages appear during working on sheets:
** (gnumeric:23147): CRITICAL **: atk_bridge_adaptor_cleanup: assertion `inited' failed

I compiled Gnumeric gnumeric-1.12.0 from source, the configuration summary is:
Compiler:               gcc
Compiler flags:         -g -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
  -Wsign-compare -Wpointer-arith -Wnested-externs -Wchar-subscripts
  -Wwrite-strings -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wnested-externs
  -Wmissing-noreturn -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
  -Wno-pointer-sign -Werror=format-security
Floating point type:    double
UI:                     Gtk
Perl Support:           yes (using perl)
Python Support:         yes (using python)
GDA support:            Disabled by request
GNOME-DB support:       no
Psiconv support:        yes
PDF documentation:      No, not requested.

I got still the same warnings and error messages.

Is there any way to get Gnumeric as fast as were the previous versions.
Should I try some previous version?

Thanks for suggestions.

Andres Kuusk
Tartu Observatory, Estonia.