Gnumeric Library API Vs Libspreadsheet API

Gnumeric uses Libspreadsheet internally to parse spreadsheets.
The Libspreadsheet API however, is in C++, and I want to confine my spreadsheet searching app entirely to C.
Could I make use of Gnumeric APIs or Libspreadsheet APIs from my own C application (by linking my C app to either of the libraries) without having to put my code inside the code base of gnumeric. How could I do that?

This question is in continuation to the previous thread https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnumeric-list/2013-September/msg00014.html.

Thanks in Advance,
Catapult.