nested values for drop down validation list

I was wondering how I could have a large number (say 100) values in a drop
down list for validated input into a cell. From a practical point of view I
think they would need to be nested so that on clicking on a cell about 10
parent values would appear in the list but on hovering the cursor over one
of these it would expand to reveal a further 10 values each of which could
be chosen to be entered into the cell.

If this is achievable or if some other way of getting similar functionality
is possible I would be very interested to know.

Thanks, Steve