How to insert names (NEW USER)

I just do not understand how to use the Insert Name feature of Gnumeric.  I
have searched this forum and all available Gnumeric documentation, made
numerous Google searches and still am not able to use names.

I am using the Windows version, 1.10.14, of Gnumeric, with Wndows 7.

As an illustration, I have a cell with EB in it, and the cell just to the
right of this has the value 1000 in it.  I want to be able to use "EB" in
formulas rather than the row and column containing 1000.  I am very familiar
with EXCEL and have no problem using names there.  But I am completely
baffled by Gnumeric.  The documentation just doesn't go into any detail at
all on the procedure to follow once you click on Insert Name.   I would very
much appreciate any help, preferably step by step instructions.
Thanks in advance
Bob