Problem with columns - can move width but numbers don't

Using Gnumeric 1.10.1 loaded recently using apt-get in Ubuntu 10.04.
This seems to be the most recent version in the Ubuntu repository.

I have a smallish spreadsheet 9 columns by 75 rows.

Problem: When I highlight a column and use the mouse to make the column wider,
the numbers in the _next_ column appear.

For example, the first column is labled 'data' and the second 'amount'.
If I make the 'data' column larger by moving the right side separator in 'data', numbers from the amount column appear.

This seems very wrong to me.
How can I fix it short of starting over again with a new spreadsheet?

Larry Alkoff